- Location(Agriculture Building 2) #402
- Cultivate new intellectuals of the future animal industry by improving academic theory and application ability in the field of animal resource science.
- Enhance creativity for new technology and an academic ability to contribute to animal-related industrial development.
- Enhance internationalization capability for the advancement into overseas industries in the animal resource science field.
Animal Science & Biotechnology is an academic field that nurtures high-quality talents in animal-related industries and is a major field that conducts learning and research about the life phenomenon of various animals, ranging from economic animals such as cows, pigs, chickens, ducks, deer, and goats, which are the main sources of meat, to human-friendly animals such as dogs, cats, horses, and wild birds, fish, and laboratory animals. Besides, as a convergence academic field incorporating advanced biotechnology technique and Information and Communication Technology (ICT), it is expanding into the academic field that improves the productivity of economic animals and creates a human-friendly and sustainable eco-friendly animal industry. In this major, the educational objectives are to contribute to the development of the animal industry and to simultaneously promote the health and well-being of mankind through the nurturing of competent human resources who can play a leading role in the development of animal resource science.
To achieve the objectives of the major, the Animal Science & Biotechnology major is improving research skills by in-depth theory and practice for each field of studies, including breeding, reproduction, nutrition, feeding, feed, facility, and the environment of animal resources, which are the core fields of animal resource science. It is operating hands-on and experience programs, field placement of companies and related industries, special lectures by experts in related fields, various seminars, support for employment and start-up clubs, lectures, and scholarship for career development through significant budget support from the central government and related organizations. The major is doing its best to cultivate talents who can play a leading role in the future industry by enabling students to develop creativity, research, and information skills while enabling them to improve professional theories and technologies throughout the animal industry to prepare for the future. Moreover, it is carrying out education and practical training in the cutting-edge areas of animal genetic engineering, animal genetic breeding, animal developmental engineering, stem cytology, animal nutrition, animal physiology, functional animal food material, and bioactive substances as research on new technology life phenomenon. After graduation, the employment possibilities include animal-related companies, biotechnology companies, biomedical companies, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals (infertility clinics), national and public research institutes, and national institutions (public servant). The Animal Science & Biotechnology major program operates specialized graduate programs (combined Undergraduate-Master’s program and a Doctoral program) for students who intend to pursue graduate school and also conducts career guidance for studying abroad. To this end, intending to advance overseas to China, Vietnam, Thailand, Australia, and New Zealand, where the animal industry base is abundant, it aims to discover and nurture excellent human resources to contribute to domestic and foreign animal resource-related industries.
Career paths after graduation
- Biotechnology venture and research institute
- Economic animal industry companies and farm management
- Animal industry-related administrative, research, and technical officer in public sector
- Financial institutions such as Nonghyup and the National Livestock Cooperative Federation
- Feed company and pharmaceutical company
- Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation and Livestock Health Control Association
- Animal exporters, importers, and distributors
- Fertilized egg transplantation and artificial insemination center
- Animal industry-related research institutes and companies
- Biotechnology-related research institute and company
- Animal industry media and publishing organizations
- Attending graduate school for a master’s or doctoral degree
- Veterinary hospital and pet-related occupations